Panic attacks instigate a feeling of intense fear, anxiety, and sudden panic. They turn out to be physical and emotional with overwhelming symptoms. The physical signs may be difficulty in breathing, sweating profusely, trembling, and racing heartbeats. Some people will also experience a detached feeling from the real world or even themselves in rare instances. Panic attacks are very uncertain and will hit a person in no time. So, an individual can only try to ensure that it does not affect them in a bad way.
Causes Of Panic Attacks
Panic attacks are also known as panic disorders, and there are certain factors that are seen to trigger or cause them. Studies reveal there are various ways a body responds to danger or uncomfortable situations. The panic attack causes are:
- Significant stress that an individual faces in everyday life.
- The brain functioning changes all of a sudden in specific ways, and they are seen to bring on a severe panic attack.
- Genetics or the heredity pattern is the panic attack causes that are seen to be inherited from the ancestors.
- The temperament of the person may be the reason for a panic attack, and it can become prone to negative emotions and daily mental pressures.
Symptoms Of Panic Attacks
Any panic attack symptom may be occurring both frequently and occasionally. The signs of a panic attack may vary from person to person depending on the cause, and some of the most common ones are:
- Fear of death
- Pounding heart
- Sense of impending danger
- Chills and trembles
- Shortness of breath
- Throat tightness
- Abdominal cramps
- Chest pains
- Feeling of detachment
- Fainty or light-headedness
- Numbness or tingling sensation
- Unreal feeling
Strategies To Prevent Panic Attacks
How to stop a panic attack? There are specific strategies that can prevent a panic attack symptom, and they are listed below. They are also referred to as a panic attack treatment, and they are:
- Make use of deep breathing techniques to reduce the symptoms of a panic attack. This works best for people facing hyperventilating signs due to the condition. Focus on deep breaths both in and out through the mouth. One can feel the air filling in the chest and belly for a count of four. Hold for a second, and then they should slowly exit the system. Breathe out gently at a slow pace again for a count of four. This is the best remedy for how to control anger.
- Close the eyes to block any stimuli and focus on breathing. Panic attacks are triggered by a lot of stimuli from the environment, and therefore closing the eyes and relaxing will help a person to shut from the outside world that might bring in any extra stimuli.
- Stay calm and understand that the panic attack is only temporary and it will pass. This is the best panic attack treatment.
- Practice meditation or mindfulness. Meditation is the best panic attack treatment at home. It will help to concentrate on the present scenario by being aware of the things around. It helps a person stay focused on the various sounds and feel the objects in close proximity, which will help in firmly getting back to reality. It will put an end to the feeling of detachment and combat panic attack effectively. This is the best practice on how to build self-confidence.
- Focus on a single object, and it may be anything that is in clear view. This is the best panic attack treatment at home. Consciously make a note of everything, like its color, shape, size, and pattern. And by concentrating on the energy of this object, the panic symptoms will subside effectively.
- How to overcome anxiety? Well, muscle relaxation techniques control the body's response to panic attacks in a very productive way. Relax one muscle at a time and move up through the different parts of the body. It has to be practiced well in advance to curb any attack on the system.
- How to control panic attacks? Mentally picture a happy place. It may be anything, say a beach, mountain or snow. Visualize as if you are there and try to focus on all the details of the place. Imagine as if you are performing your favorite activity and feel the calmness enter your mind.
- Perform very low-intensity exercises to treat panic attacks. The endorphins will pump blood into the system, and this will tend to improve the mood. Whenever a person is stressed, some light exercise will enhance the mind and prevent stress. But if you are facing shortness of breath symptoms, do not perform any of these.
- Lavender is a compound that is seen to cause a stress-relieving and soothing effect on the mind. It relaxes the body, and making use of lavender essential oil on forearms or hands will make you treat the symptoms of all panic attacks. Lavender tea helps to soothe the body and mind as they are combined with benzodiazepines. This is the best approach to treat panic attacks in the field of psychiatry. It is seen to cause intense drowsiness and is applied mainly to people who do not respond well to any treatment. And at times, the patients are also treated with alprazolam in severe conditions. Both the compounds are highly addictive, and hence they are only sparingly used in extreme cases.
- How to stop a panic attack? Repeating a mantra will relax and will help subside panic attacks. Repeat them on a loop inside the head, and they can be even a positive phrase to set the good vibes internally.
If you are experiencing panic attacks beyond control, please seek medical help immediately. This is because they will worsen without treatment, and most importantly, a heart attack also resembles a panic attack. Hence it is very crucial to get evaluated at the earliest. How to stop panic attacks forever? There is no guaranteed method to prevent panic attacks, but treatments will stop relapses or worsening of the condition. Avoid caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and other recreational drugs as a self-treatment. Above all, get regular sleep and physical exercise that will also help.