1.What are Eating Disorders?An eating disorder is more than just being about food despite having the word ‘eating’ in it. It is a range of psychological conditions which causes the development of unhealthy eating habits. It is a complex mental health condition that in most cases requires the intervention of psychological and medical experts to help fix it. Different types of Eating disorder that we know about which has been mentioned below for your understanding:
- Anorexia nervosa
- Bulimia nervosa
- Binge eating disorder
- Rumination disorder
- Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder
Eating Disorder Symptoms The Eating disorder symptoms depends on which type you have been affected by as each differs from the other. Some of the common symptoms across the different types has been listed below for your understanding:
- Having very restricted eating patterns
- Unwillingness to maintain a healthy weight
- Obsession with being thin or looking a certain way
- The fear of gaining weight
- Having lack of self-control
- Poor development of height and age
- Dependence on supplements for nutritional deficiency
- A distorted body image due to societal pressures
- Self esteem issues in relation to how the body looks
If you feel that you are having any sort of problems with your vision then immediately you must consult an Eating disorders doctor.2.Who is at Risk? There are certain Eating disorder risk factors that all individuals should be aware about. We have mentioned them below for your reference:
- An Individual who is over weight but tends to see themselves as being overweight
- Someone with a family history of some kind of eating disorder
- Someone who has difficulty in eating in public and always feels the urge to control themselves in some repressive manner.
It must be kept in mind that an Eating disorder does not develop overnight. These are some red flags that one should be cautious about and take precautions against. 3.Eating Disorder Causes The Eating disorder causes are dependent on various factors as per experts. Common causes across the different types that experts have been able to identify include:
- Genetic issues specially in the case of twins who have been separated at birth and then put up for adoption
- Having certain personality traits like impulsivity, perfectionism and neuroticism.
- Pressure to look a certain way, have a certain type of body size and exposure to media that promotes unrealistic body standards and ideas of beauty
- Differences in biology and the structure of the brain can also play a role in this.
4.How is Eating Disorder diagnosed? For Eating disorder diagnosis, it is done basic eating habits and some signs and symptoms. There are certain Eating disorder tests that a doctor will conduct if they suspect that you might be suffering from it.
- A physical exam will be done by the doctor to rule out the possibility of other medical causes that may cause an eating disorder. Certain lab tests may also be prescribed by the doctor if he or she feels the need for the same.
- A psychological evaluation conducted by a mental health professional will involve knowing your thoughts and eating habits.
- Other studies may also be conducted to check for any complications related to any type of eating disorder.
5.How is Eating disorder treated? Eating disorder treatment depends on the type and includes a team of people who work on various aspects of this problem. This generally incudes a team of mental health professional, primary care doctors and dieticians.These are various medicine for eating disorder that may be given on doctor’s advice.Care.Fit is your friendly neighbourhood health care provider offering a variety of services for various health conditions. They have on their team some of the best endocrinologist from all over India to attend to any and all medical requirements. Their services are listed on their app and website which you can download You should consider them if you are looking for a good Eating disorder cure.6.How can Eating disorder be prevented? Eating disorder prevention depends from individual to individual and the type they are suffering from. However, there are common and s things that can be done to prevent it:
- Resist the urge to weigh yourself everyday or check yourself in the mirror frequently
- Talk to an expert about what you are feeling inside and try to understand the root cause of the issue
- Do not skip therapy sessions and follow doctor’s recommendation on what to eat and the lifestyle to be maintained.
- Stay away from social media, beauty magazines and other forms of media.