What is Constipation?
Constipation is a digestive problem, it occurs when it gets difficult for a person to empty their large bowel. There are many reasons for this type of dysfunction in the body. Technically what defines constipation is that a person is having less than 3 bowel movements per week. It is one of the frequent gastrointestinal disorders that people face in the United States. As per the statistics around 2.5 million people in the US visit doctors for constipation Treatment. There is a popular saying that the precaution is better than cure. But to carry out the precaution also, you need to know the Causes that require to be Prevented. Even for basic ailments, one should be aware of the illness, what are the Causes & how you can prevent constipation. The constipation doctor specialist is known as the Gastroenterologist
What Causes Constipation?
Daily routine habits severely affect your immune as well as the digestive system. Not consuming food containing low fiber, dehydration, unproportioned consumption of milk and cheese, taking too much stress, regular changes in your routine habits, and last but not the least is subconsciously resisting the urge to have a bowel movement. Apart from the lifestyle, medications and medical conditions can also be the cause of constipation. Like pain medicines, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, iron pills, psychiatric medications, anti-nausea medications, and many more. When you get hold of your habits leading to causing such problems to your own body, transform it into good and healthy habits. And if you can’t catch the cause, then look for the Symptoms.
Constipation Signs and Symptoms
Here are the various constipation Signs & Symptoms that you should keep in mind:
- Pay heed if the routine bowel movements have drastically changed in some near time.
- If you are discarding hard and dry stool.
- If you find blood in the stool.
- Don’t feel well and nauseous.
- Experiencing stomach aches and cramps without any specific reason.
- Rectal blockage
Many people solve their minor constipation problems by themself only. By following healthy habits and consuming the required and healthy diet you can Prevent constipation. Some people even opt for laxatives as a solution. But do remember that if consumed continuously for more than 14 days, laxatives can be dangerous to health. Even the Food and Drug Administration warns people to consult a doctor before using them.
Who is more at Risk of constipation?
Here are a few constipation Risk Factors:
- People who have crossed 60 years of age are more prone to constipation. Because of their reduced physical activity and already present Disease in the body.
- Next are those who are closely attached to their bed. Like spinal cord injured patients who are required to be more on the bed than on the floor.
- Compared to males, females face more problems regarding constipation. Children, due to their eating habits, are more likely to be at Risk than adults.
- Pregnant women also face constipation problems because of the pressure on intestine and hormonal changes. Change in diet plan also factors. Many women opt for iron supplements, which can also lead to constipation problems. It is suggested to get the Treatment on time.
How can constipation be Diagnosed?
There are some medical tests also that help in Diagnosing the cause:
- First and foremost is the Marker Study (colorectal transit study), which checks the movement of food through the colon. For the next few days, many abdominal X-rays will be taken to see the movement. During this course of time, you will consume high fiber food.
- Next is the Anorectal manometry test that examines anal sphincter muscle function.
- To perfectly examine the colon, Barium enema X-ray is performed.
- A colonoscopy is also an option in Diagnosing the constipation problems.
How is Constipation Treated?
Most cases of constipation does not require prescription Treatment. Making lifestyle changes like doing more exercise, eating more fiber and drinking more water cure it. In severe cases of constipation consult a doctor, he may prescribe some laxatives.
How can Constipation be Prevented?
From your childhood, you must have heard of the healthy routine habits that everyone follows to not have an upset stomach. Apart from that, there are other routine patterns that you must also indulge in your life. Keep these things in mind in order to Prevent constipation:
- Keep your body hydrated with the decaffeinated fluid.
- Keep your distance from dehydrated elements like alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
- If required and prescribed by your dietitian, add fiber supplements to your food chart.
- You can also add probiotics, for example, yogurt.
- Reduce the consumption of low fiber food like milk and processed eatables.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits that are high fiber containment. Daily consumption of fiber must be at least between 20-35 grams.
- Dried prunes contain high fiber. Intaking a few prunes can get your digestive system on the right path.
- You can also use laxatives some time, but don’t get used to it. Excessive use can be harmful to one's health.
- Kiwi fruit is considered the natural laxative and contains high fiber. A research study in 2013 also suggested the same.
- Along with fiber, your body also needs magnesium. To be relieved from constipation, you must have enough intake of magnesium. These supplements function as osmotic laxatives. Osmotic laxatives fill the water in your digestive system. Consult the doctor before taking it, if you have any kidney problems. Mostly whole grains and leafy greens are rich in magnesium naturally apart from the magnesium capsules.
- Add exercise to your daily routine chart. Jogging and walking can be good for the lower part of the digestive system because they can stimulate the muscles.
- It is suggested to have one or two spoonfuls of coconut oil every day to keep constipation far away. It lubricates the intestines.
- Don’t delay in bowel movement.
- Apart from all the information given here. You must also consult with your doctor if the constipation problem is causing more pain to your body & take constipation medicine on time
cult.fit is one of the top healthcare providers that offer various consultation services for health issues and has a team of the best doctors in the country that can help you with all your medical related problems. All services are available from their app or website.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Bakasana | Balasana | Surya Mudra | Shambhavi Mudra | Ashwini Mudra | Yoni Mudra | Prithvi Mudra Benefits | Vayu Mudra | Parvatasana | Khechari Mudra Benefits | Padahastasana Benefits| Mandukasana | Gomukhasana | Prana Mudra Benefits | Gyan Mudra Benefits | Mayurasana | Dandasana| Benefits of Makarasana | Uttanasana Benefits | Yoga Nidra Benefits| Apan Vayu Mudra Benefits | Halasana | Yoga Mudrasana Benefits | Balayam Yoga Benefits| Vrischikasana Benefits | Padmasana Benefits | Kriya Yoga Benefits | Vipassana Meditation Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Air Squats | Superman Exercise Benefits | Sumo Deadlift | Side Plank Benefits | Does Skipping Increase Height | Chiseled Body | Hrithik Roshan Workout Routine | Dragon Flag | 5 Brain Exercises | Kickbacks Exercise | Box Jumps | Walking Lunges Benefits | Windshield Wipers Exercise Benefits | Dumbbell Workout for Beginners | Push up Alternatives
Top Search Terms For Fitness
Best Mantra for Meditation | Types of Pranayama and Benefits | Vakrasana Steps, Benefits and Precautions | Bhujang Asana Is Good for Improving | Yoga Asanas for Blood Circulation | Yoga in Bed for Weight Loss | Yoga for Anger Management | Vajrasana Benefits for Male