Ayurveda is a practice that has been followed in India for more than 5,000 years. Ayurveda medicines are an ancient tradition for healthcare and are derived from the Sanskrit word Ayur meaning life and Veda meaning knowledge. Ayurveda medicines are used widely in India and western countries have researched and realized their potential only recently. The Western world considers this as alternative medicine but it has all the potential to become mainstream. Read below to know all about Ayurveda medicines:
The Principles of Ayurveda Medicines
As per the principles of Ayurveda, healthcare is not generic but specific and is as per the physical constitution of the individual. This specific constitution is called Prakruti and this determines the mental, physical and physiologic characteristics of people. Based on the Prakruti, vulnerability to certain diseases is also dependent. Prakruti is determined by three main energies called the doshas. These are the basic energies present in the body with one or two of them being predominant:
- Pitta energy as per Ayurvedic medicine is associated with fire. Those with this energy are intelligent, fast-paced, and fiery. It controls the endocrine and the digestive systems and when this goes out of balance it leads to digestive issues, anger, arthritis, ulcers, etc.
- Vata energy is linked to space and air. People with this energy are creative, lively, and great thinkers. It controls blood circulation, breathing, and body movement. When this goes out of balance it causes anxiety, dry skin, joint pains, constipation, etc.
- Kapha energy is related to water and the earth. People with this type of energy are strong, calm, and solidly built. As per Ayurveda medicines, when Kapha is out of control it can lead to obesity, sinus problem, diabetes, and gallbladder issues.
There is a fine balance between these doshas in the body and factors like weather, stress, and an unhealthy diet can create imbalance and cause diseases.
Benefits of Ayurveda Medicines
As per Ayurveda, the human body will have one of the above doshas. The practitioner will identify which dosha the individual belongs to and decides the ayurvedic treatment. Some of the benefits of taking Ayurveda medicines are:
- Relieves stress through various means like meditation, following Dinacharya (daily routine) that gives peace of mind, and drinking ayurvedic herbs that can reduce stress hormones.
- Helps in weight loss without creating any physical, mental, or emotional impact on the body. There are many ayurvedic products that can be used as part of the diet plan to aid weight loss. The Ayurvedic diet will help in detoxifying the body, reduce fat and cholesterol, tone and purify the skin and also improve blood circulation.
- Balances hormones by detoxifying the body, and regulating the menstrual cycle. Getting enough sleep and regular exercise are also recommended.
- Irregular sleep patterns and poor diet lead to inflammation. Ayurvedic herbs can be used as a treatment to control it. There are many ayurvedic products that can be used for relieving back pain, bowel disease, etc which is a result of inflammation.
- Ayurveda focuses not just on the body but also on the mind and soul. Body massages are part of treatment that can get rid of toxins in the body that interfere with the body's functioning.
- Along with an ayurvedic diet and proper lifestyle, Ayurveda helps to reduce the risk of diseases developing. Ayurveda is a holistic approach, it looks at the root cause of the disease and then the cure. It can detect diseases even before you get to know them and curb them.
- People who follow the Ayurveda have glowing skin as the diet followed is more of greens, veggies, and fruits. That leaves your skin radiant and blemish-free.
- Lifestyle habits cause disturbed sleep and even insomnia. Using ayurvedic products like coconut oil or jasmine oil are some of the hacks to cure this problem.
- Constipation and bloating are common in people due to improper diet. There are many products that are available to cure it. For quick relief, there are many ayurvedic products online that can cure it. Also, there are many herbs like cumin, ginger, and cardamom that can be chewed to cure indigestion. These are also ayurvedic immunity boosters.
Things to know about Ayurveda Medicines
Ayurveda medicines aim to help people live a healthy long life without the need for medications or surgeries. Here are a few things to know about them:
1. Ayurveda states you are what you eat
The kind of diet you follow in your life plays an important role in your overall health. The Ayurveda diet plays an important role. Instead of medicines that a family doctor prescribes, an Ayurveda practitioner specifies certain foods to be consumed to bring a balance of doshas. These ayurvedic herbs are commonly found in supermarkets or even grown at home which is the main benefit of Ayurveda.
2. Change in lifestyle
An Ayurveda consultation will involve checking medical history, genetics, lifestyle, and mental and spiritual state of mind. A change in the diet and lifestyle based on the readings may be recommended. Certain Ayurvedic herbs and spices may be provided as an ayurvedic treatment use. For example, turmeric, ginger, coriander, curry leaves, etc may be suggested as part of the ayurvedic diet. One can also grow these as an ayurvedic plant in your kitchen if the conditions are suitable.
3. It is not a magical pill
Just like every other type of medicine, Ayurvedic treatment is not a magical pill. It needs time to give good results. It works over a period of time and does not expect instant results. Ayurveda medicines are not an instant cure and if someone says so, Beware! So if someone says that they can show instant results then it is not sustainable. Just like how a tree takes time to grow big, the same applies to Ayurveda. Give it time so that it can heal the mind, body, and soul.
4. Follow the instructions to a T
If you want the ayurvedic medicine list to work for you, follow what order the doctor recommends. The ayurvedic treatment is more about how it is consumed and when it is consumed rather than what. These medicines will work only if you respect your body and appreciate it. The Ayurvedic doctor may ask you to make lifestyle changes and also diet changes, so be prepared to follow it. End of the day what the doctor gives and how you take it makes all the difference!
5. Look for a trained Ayurveda practitioner
There are no side effects of Ayurveda medicines but they have to be taken in the right dosage. While for generic health and treatment it's ok but for specific diseases, intake of the right dosage is vital. A trained practitioner will check the doshas and then prescribe an ayurvedic medicine list.
6. Complete the course
The effects of the Ayurveda medicines cannot be known unless you have taken the full course of medicines prescribed by the doctor. It should be consumed at the right time, the duration prescribed, and in the right state of mind. Also, follow the diet prescribed and appropriate lifestyle. Use an ayurvedic immunity booster if you are susceptible to disease. If possible grow the ayurvedic plant that is recommended and use it in your diet.
Ayurveda is not just medicine, it is a tradition. Follow the time-tested principles of Ayurvedic medicines to enhance your health and your life in every way. If you already have a disease and are going for a family medicine consultation let them know you are using Ayurveda as it may interact with medications that you are using.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Dandasana Benefits | Balasana Steps | Makarasana Steps | Air Squat Exercise | Bhujangasana | Halasana Benefits | Yoga Mudrasana | Padmasana Steps | Shambhavi Mahamudra | How to Do Ashwini Mudra |Yoni Mudra Side Effects | Prithvi Mudra for Hair Growth | Vayu Mudra for Gas | Benefits of Parvatasana | Bakasana Information in English | Khechari Mudra Steps | Benefits of Padahastasana | Vakrasana Benefits and Precautions | Mandukasana Benefits and Precautions | Benefits of Gomukhasana | Surya Namaskar Mudra | Prana Vayu Mudra | Mudra for Anxiety | Mayurasana Steps | Glute Kickback Exercise | Box Jumps Benefits | Dumbbell Exercises for Beginners
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Benefits of Superman Exercise | Sumo Deadlifts | Side Plank | Uttanasana Procedure | Vajrasana Strengthens | Will Skipping Increase Height | Chiseled Body Workout | Hrithik Roshan Body Building Exercise | Dragon Flag Abs | Windshield Wiper Exercise | Barbell Walking Lunges
Top Search Terms For Fitness
How Does Yoga Nidra Help Decrease Stress and Anxiety | Best Brain Exercises | Yoga to Reduce Stress and Anger | Apan Vayu Mudra for Anxiety |Balayam Yoga Side Effects | Benefits of Vipassana Meditation | Scorpion Position | Yoga for Blood Circulation in Legs | Yin Yoga | Kriya Yoga Poses | Benefits of Archer Push Ups | Mantra Meditation Benefits | Types of Pranayama With Pictures