What is Fever
Fever describes an individual’s body temperature that is higher than the normal temperature. The other names by which it is known are pyrexia, hyperthermia, or elevated temperature. When the fever temperature range is a little above the normal temperature, i.e., 98.6 F or 37 C, it can be fought off easily by your body. It must be kept in mind that the normal temperature may vary slightly among individuals. However, when the temperature is abnormally high then it could be an indicator of a severe illness that requires immediate medical attention. It affects children and adults.
Symptoms of Fever
Some of the most common fever symptoms that is visible in individuals apart from an increase in the fever temperature have been mentioned below:
1. If an individual wakes up sweating in the middle of the night often.
2. Constant shivering even when it is warm in the surrounding.
3. Severe headache throughout the day.
4. Constant Muscle Aches in various parts of the body.
5. An unusual loss of Appetite and aversion towards food in general.
6. Constant feeling of Dehydration in the body despite consuming an adequate amount of liquids.
7. An overall feeling of General Weakness and fatigue in the body despite giving the body enough rest.
All the above symptoms can be an indicator of high fever. During such a situation, it is best to consult a doctor and see if there are other major illnesses on the horizon that you are not aware of.
What Causes Fever?
Some of the other common causes of fever that one must be aware of are:
1. Any kind of infection or flu either Viral or Bacterial may indicate fever.
2. When children are given some immunizations such as diphtheria or tetanus, they may have a mild fever for a few days after.
3. Teething in infants often results in a rise in body temperature.
4. Certain inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and Crohn’s disease can increase body temperature.
5. Food poisoning might lead to hyperthermia in adults.
6. Few medications that include antibiotics might increase body temperature.
When to See A Doctor?
When fever temperature is mild, it can be treated at home. However, in serious cases, it is best to consult a doctor and get a fever test done.
- When you are experiencing a fever with chills it might be because of another illness that needs to be diagnosed.
- When fever in kids has gone above 102 F, they need to be checked immediately. This also indicates a high fever in adults.