Hummus, also called the Israeli culinary cult is considered to be an extremely healthy food mostly consumed by people as a snack. It is a part of Lebanese cuisine and is mostly served with pita bread. It is made using ground chickpeas and olives. There can be a number of variations that can be made while preparing this dish. In middle east countries, it is one of the most healthy and popular dishes. Health-conscious people often substitute the mayonnaise in salads with hummus due to its health benefits. Some of the other popular dishes with hummus are hummus on wholewheat toast, hummus in french fries and burgers, hummus on a croissant, hummus on a burrito, and hummus on a taco, Mediterranean pizza with hummus, hummus in pasta, and hummus as a dressing on salads. Hummus and pita are the most famous combination relished by a majority of people. It is a healthy snack and preferred by most office-going people who can prepare it easily at home. Falafel and hummus is another popular combination in the middle east and popular all over the world. Particularly for children, parents use hummus as an excellent substitute for mayonnaise and cheese as it is a healthier alternative. It is popular in middle east countries such as UAE, Israel, Palestine, and Turkey, however, it is sold globally and enjoyed by people belonging to different demographics. Chickpea hummus is the most common one.
History of Hummus
In Palestinian society today, hummus is consumed either as a whole meal for breakfast, or lunch or as one of several vegetable dishes served alongside the main course. Hummus consumed at home is more often than not purchased in a hummusiya, although Israeli industrial hummus has made inroads into Palestinian kitchens. During the Mandate period, hummus was usually prepared at home. Hummus food is considered to be a beloved dish yet not one eaten on a regular basis. In the poorer villages, hummus was often prepared without tahini, which was the more expensive ingredient. In the early times, there were 2 restaurants serving hummus, and sometimes other dishes as well, like a fool (cooked fava beans) or 620. The gourmet nation of hummus in Israel American Ethnologist roasted meat could be found in urban commercial centers like Haifa, Jaffa, and Jerusalem and were often intended to cater to visitors from out of town. As a vehicle for public representations of identity, the discourse on hummus in Israel is often structured by the language of conflict and reconciliation. At the same time, the culinary success of hummus cannot be reduced to its political symbolism; it is motivated by a range of other factors, such as taste, price, and nutritional qualities, themselves mediated by various discourses of lifestyle and consumption. The importance of the industry in elevating hummus to the position of a culinary cult may be gauged by comparing its fate to that of falafel. Although the ascent of hummus and the descent of baked falafel as a national food in Israel was influenced by other factors e.g. the current attention to health in food consumption, with its rejection of fried foods it was no doubt affected by their different amenability to industrialization: while the industrial version of falafel requires preparation and frying, in the case of hummus the industry provides a dish ready to eat, which may be easily consumed in any setting.
Health Benefits of Hummus
- Nutritionist recommends chickpeas as it is a rich source of protein and fiber. 28 grams of chickpeas provide 46 calories, 2 grams of protein, and 8 grams of carbohydrates. It also contains folate, iron, phosphorus, copper, and manganese.
- It is highly rich in calcium, zinc, selenium, thiamin, vitamin C, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folate, choline, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin K, and vitamin E.
- The composition of hummus is such that it feels extremely light after intake keeping your appetite under control.
- It is the perfect choice for people who avoid animal products as it comprises plant protein. It contributes to healthy bones and weight management.
- Its nutritive properties keep blood sugar levels under control. Most doctors recommend it as a snack for old people.
- Sportspersons and athletes relish hummus due to its nutritional value. It is an excellent alternative to items high in calories.
- It consists of healthy bacteria that help in digestion and enable a smooth waste excretion from the body.
- Being a rich source of magnesium and potassium, it prevents chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
- Chickpea is cost-efficient and can be added to one daily grocery. It is consumed with salads, sandwiches, and soups.
- There are a number of variations that can be made while making hummus and pita bread such as adding mashed potato, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt to it. Being rich in protein, it is considered to be a substitute for meat.
Type of Hummus
- Olive Tapenade Hummus: It is made of chickpeas, roasted red pepper, kalamata olives, garlic, salt, parsley, and lemon juice. All the ingredients are to be mixed in a grinder. Lastly, olive oil to be mixed to get a smooth texture. This is a variety of hummus without tahini.
- Pesto Hummus: It is made up of chickpeas, tahini, nutritional yeast, basil, garlic salt, and lemon juice. The consistency can be maintained using olive oil. This tastes excellent with multigrain lavash.
- Burrito Hummus: It is made using black beans, chipotle sauce, ground cumin, salt, black pepper, lime juice, coriander, and olive oil. Burrito hummus and chicken panini is a popular combination among youngsters.
- Roasted Garlic Hummus: It is prepared using garlic, olive oil, salt, tahini, chickpeas, salt, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Guacummus: It is prepared using avocado, chickpeas, chili flakes, salt, lime juice, coriander, and olive oil. This is best tasted with nachos or tortilla chips. This can be supplemented with spicy hummus dip and chips.
- Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus: This could be prepared using sun-dried tomato, chickpeas, garlic, lemon, oregano, and olive oil. It is best served with chips and bread. This is a type of flavored hummus.
- Boiled Peanut Hummus: It is made up of peanuts, chickpea, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Beetroot Hummus: It is prepared using red beetroot, chickpeas, tahini, fresh lemon juice, ricotta, garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, coriander, and mint leaves, poppy seeds, and olive oil. Homemade hummus when served fresh is the best.
Conclusion Most dietitians recommend 2 cups of legumes to their clients and chickpea and hummus are a great alternative to it in terms of nutritive value. It provides the necessary protein and fiber for the body for both adults and children. Substitution of common dips and spreads with hummus helps to increase diet quality. Consuming chickpeas and/or hummus in moderation may have additional benefits beyond improving nutrient profiles of meals (e.g., delaying gastric emptying and slowing carbohydrate absorption); however, more clinical research is needed across various subpopulations. For a lot of vegetarians, it becomes difficult to find vegetarian food in middle east countries when they travel as tourists. In such situations, hummus and pita bread serve as an excellent option for these people. It is a kind of dish that can be consumed for either breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Hummus at home is easy to prepare as long as there is a mixer grinder at home. It takes 3-5 minutes to be prepared as long as all the ingredients are available for cooking. Hummus ingredients are readily available in the market.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Types Of Yoga | Kukkutasana | Hanumanasana | Karnapidasana | Rajakapotasana | Setu Bandhasana | Benefits Of Yoga | Upavistha Konasana | Chaturanga Dandasana | Four Limbed Staff Pose | Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Sprawls | Front Press | T Bar Row | Side Crunch | Bench Dips | Half Burpee | Push Press | Pendlay Rows | Jump Squats | Pulse Squat | Shoulder Taps | Reverse Curl | Skaters Exercise | Chair Exercises | Anaerobic Exercise | Abduction Exercise | Plank To Pushup | Farmers Walk |Overhead Squat | Weighted Crunch | Dumbbell Snatch | Rope Pushdown | Renegade Rows | Windmill Exercise | Dumbbell Curls | Side Lateral Raise | Kettlebell Swings | Barbell Bicep Curl
Top Search Terms Fitness
Body Transformation | One Arm Dumbbell Row | Exercises To Reduce Neck Pain | Exercise To Relieve Back Pain | Regular Arm Workout | Fast Fat Burning Exercises | Chest Supported Row | Incline Dumbbell Curl | Benefits Of Cycling | Benefits Of Walking | Top 10 Abs Workout | Muscle Gain Exercises | Yoga Poses For Butt