Rajakapotasana is an advanced yoga pose that is known for alleviating back pain and stretching the hips. But these are not the only benefits of this yoga. Performing this seated backbend can lead to a wide range of benefits.
In this article, we are going to discuss all Rajakapotasana benefits along with how to perform this pose. But before that, let’s learn a few basic things about this pose.
What is the meaning of Rajakapotasana Pose?
Rajakapotasana is a modern yoga that is performed by yoga experts. It is also known as Eka Pada Rajakapotasana. This word comes from the Sanskrit language wherein ‘Eka’ means One, ‘Pada’ means leg, ‘Raja’ means King, ‘Kapota’ means Pigeon, and ‘Asana’ means Pose. Eka Pada Rajakapotasana meaning in English is One-Legged King Pigeon pose or King Pigeon pose.
Based on your choice, you can also perform Eka Pada Rajakapotasana in Iyengar style, Yin form, or aerial form. Its Yin form is known as Swan Pose, while the Aerial variant is called Flying Pigeon Pose.
Benefits of Rajakapotasana
Here are some of the best Eka Pada Rajakapotasana benefits which make it an excellent pose:
- Strengthens Your Back, Legs, Abdomen, and Hips
Regular practice of Rajakapotasana can effectively stretch various muscles groups such as back, abdomen, hips, and legs. This puts extra pressure on these muscles; thereby improving blood flow in the muscles. Better blood flow means higher oxygen and all this finally results in stronger muscles.
- Reduces Lower Back Pain
By stretching and strengthening your spine, Rajakapotasana reduces lower back pain. It also increases mobility in the front body and gently activates lower back muscles.
- Improves Digestion
Since Rajakapotasana is a backbend, it also massages the core and abdominal muscles. This helps in stimulating the internal organs and improving their functions. So, if you wish to prevent any digestive issues such as constipation and IBS, Rajakapotasana can help you.
- Increases Flexibility
Rajakapotasana can increase the range of motion in joints and muscles. And when you do it on a regular basis, this pose can effectively improve your flexibility of the spine, neck, arms, and legs.
- Enhances Sexual Health
Performing Rajakapotasana helps in stimulating your sexual organs. It also improves the blood flow to the sexual organs to increase sexual performance.
- Reduces the Stress and Anxiety levels
All the yoga poses – whether they are on a beginner level or advanced level – help in calming down the mind. Rajakapotasana also helps in reducing stress and anxiety levels.
Some other benefits of Rajakapotasana are:
- Relieves sciatica pain
- Prevents urinary infections
- Corrects body posture
- Improves stability and balance
How to Do Eka Pada Rajakapotasana: Preparation and Steps
As mentioned above, Rajakapotasana is an advanced pose. Thus, you should avoid adding it to any session of yoga for beginners. Even when you are an expert, there are some poses that you must master first to finally practice Rajakapotasana pose. These preparatory poses are:
- Downward-Facing Dog
- Thread the Needle
- Child’s Pose
- Sphinx Pose
Once you have done these poses, it is comparatively easy to perform Rajakapotasana steps. Below, we have mentioned two of the most popular Rajakapotasana asanas you can try. Read and carefully follow the instructions:
Steps for Eka Pada Rajakapotasana 1
- Start by coming into the tabletop position. Keep your palms on the floor, slightly away from the shoulder. Your knees should be under your hips.
- Now slide your right foot inside and take the right knee behind your right wrist. Simultaneously slide your left leg back and drop your right hip on the ground.
- It is time to straighten your left knee. Exhale and lower down your torso. Then move in the forward direction and stretch your arms and then back to the torso preparation.
- Slowly raise your torso away from the thighs by pressing your fingertips into the ground. You also need to lengthen your lower back. For this, push your tailbone in a forwarding direction.
- Once that is done, lift your torso so that your sternum faces the ceiling side. Bring an inward curve and take your head in the backward direction.
- Use your hands to grab your left knee and try to touch your head with your knee. Hold this position for a few seconds.
- To release, leave your left foot to the floor slowly and then straighten your head and hands on the floor.
- Slide back your right foot by lifting your right hips from the floor while bringing your left leg on the knee.
- Finally, come back into the tabletop position and relax.
Steps for Eka Pada Rajakapotasana 2
- For this Eka Pada Rajakapotasana sequence, sit in Dandasana (Staff Pose). Once you are relaxed, bend your right knee so that your shin is approximately perpendicular to the floor.
- Shift your body slightly to the right side and swing your left leg behind your torso. To support, place your hands on the floor in front of you and adjust your back leg so that your left leg is fully extended.
- Now, bend your left knee and raise the shin to at least 90 degrees with the floor. As you do this, balance your weight on your right foot and left knee. Push your right knee forward to stabilize your position.
- Take a deep breath and lift your right arm up and reach back. Exhale as you take the left foot in your hand. Repeat the same with your left arm.
- Now, lift your chest and drop your head back while holding the foot firmly.
- Hold this pose for about 15 to 30 seconds.
- Breathe out and release your foot. Try to repeat the pose on the opposite side.
Eka Pada Rajakapotasana is a great pose to add to your home workouts. Practicing it daily can bring plenty of health benefits. Just make sure you learn the steps correctly. In case you are a beginner, you can also seek guidance from a yoga expert. Nowadays, you can also take online yoga classes to learn poses from top trainers while staying at home.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Sprawls | Front Press | T Bar Row | Side Crunch | Bench Dips | Half Burpee | Push Press | Pendlay Rows | Jump Squats | Pulse Squat | Shoulder Taps | Reverse Curl | Skaters Exercise | Chair Exercises | Anaerobic Exercise | Abduction Exercise | Plank To Pushup | Farmers Walk |Overhead Squat | Weighted Crunch | Dumbbell Snatch | Rope Pushdown | Renegade Rows | Windmill Exercise | Dumbbell Curls | Side Lateral Raise | Kettlebell Swings | Barbell Bicep Curl
Top Search Terms Fitness
Body Transformation | One Arm Dumbbell Row | Exercises To Reduce Neck Pain | Exercise To Relieve Back Pain | Regular Arm Workout | Fast Fat Burning Exercises | Chest Supported Row | Incline Dumbbell Curl | Benefits Of Cycling | Benefits Of Walking | Top 10 Abs Workout | Muscle Gain Exercises | Yoga Poses For Butt