Whether you are a working professional, a senior citizen, or a college student, chances are that back pain must have struck you at least once. While you can always take medicines or use topical methods to treat back pain, it is always recommended to treat the root cause of the problem rather than focusing on just treatment.
One of the best ways to prevent and reduce back pain is by regularly performing back strengthening exercises. As the name suggests, these exercises can significantly improve the strength of your back muscles and control back pain.
Nowadays, there are plenty of back pain strengthening exercises available on the internet. If you are a beginner or a senior citizen, it can become quite confusing to choose easy back strengthening exercises. To save you from this trouble, we have jotted down some of the best back strengthening exercises. Read and perform them:
Five Best Back Strengthening Exercises
Probably one of the most famous lower back strengthening exercises, bridges can be done in a home workout. The workout supports and stretches the lower back to reduce pain. It also focuses on your glutes and tones them.
In short, if you were searching for the best lower back strengthening exercises, bridges is your answer. It can also be modified to create more challenging back extensor strengthening exercises.
- Lie on the ground and bend your knees with flat feet at least hip-width apart.
- Keep your arms by the side and raise your buttocks off the ground by pressing your feet on the floor.
- Keep lifting the buttock till your body forms a bridge-like line from the shoulders to the knees. Don’t forget to squeeze your buttocks.
- Hold for a few seconds and lower the body.
- Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
- Knee-To-Chest Stretches
Lower back strengthening exercises are plenty and we have decided to share one more. Knee-to-chest is one of the popular stretching exercises.
It is so simple and safe that you can also include it in the list of exercises for senior citizens. This exercise can relieve any tension and elongate the lower back to improve flexibility. You can also try this if your focus is on middle back strengthening exercises since knee-to-chest stretch also work on most of your back muscles.
If you are not sure whether you want upper back strengthening exercises or lower back strengthening exercises at home, just go for superman. This is one of the best back extensor strengthening exercises that can strengthen the muscles that run along with the spine.
Superman targets your glutes, core, and hamstrings. It also maintains a good posture and can burn calories to keep you in shape.
- Cat Stretches
The list of easy back strengthening exercises is not complete without cat stretches. The workout can lengthen the back and ease any tension build-up. This means it is also suitable for upper back strengthening exercises list and lower and middle back strengthening exercises.
Also just like superman, it also strengthens your core and shoulder muscles along with being one of the go-to back strengthening exercises for back pain.
- Seated Back Stretch
Among all the back strengthening exercises at home, this is your cue to back strengthening exercises for seniors. A seated backstretch is done using a chair and it does not require a deeper stretch; hence one of the best back strengthening exercises for seniors.
Also, since it is quite simple, you can also try it if you are looking for back strengthening exercises for pregnancy.
The list of back strengthening exercises is long. While you can always try the back pain strengthening exercises mentioned above, here are some more strengthening exercises for lower back pain and upper back pain you can try to bring some new elements every day:
- Pelvic Tilts
- Partial Curls
- Pull Ups
- Hollow Hold
- Dumbbell Deadlift
Benefits Of Back Strengthening Exercises
If you thought that back strengthening exercises only reduce back pain, you are in for a surprise. Performing exercises for back pain – be it any of the best lower back strengthening exercises or back strengthening exercises for back pain in the upper area – can also offer benefits such as:
- Back strengthening exercises remove pressure from the spinal discs and facet joints to prevent conditions such as sciatica pain as well.
- Back strengthening exercises for seniors alleviate stiffness and improve mobility.
- You can improve circulation by performing back strengthening exercises for pregnancy to better distribute nutrients through the body, including your spinal discs.
- When it comes to back strengthening exercises, physiotherapy also becomes a part of your routine and helps you in recovering from injuries and stress.
- Strengthening exercises for lower back pain also elevate mood and relieve depressive symptoms by releasing endorphins.
- Lower back strengthening exercises at home also improve your body stability and correct the bad body posture.
Precautions For Back Strengthening Exercises
Here are some things to keep in mind while doing back strengthening exercises:
- If you are pregnant and have no idea how to do back strengthening exercises, always seek guidance from an expert first. You can also talk to your doctor if exercises are good for your baby or not.
- Always perform a warm-up before beginning your workout.
- Physiotherapy back strengthening exercises such as knee-to-chest or cat stretch should be done wearing comfortable clothes.
- Do not overdo both back strengthening exercises and physiotherapy as it can overstretch the muscles and worsen the pain in some cases.
- If you experience any unusual pain or discomfort while doing back strengthening exercises, seek medical help as soon as possible.
Learning back strengthening exercises in gym or home is easy once you have a basic understanding. You can then learn how to do back strengthening exercises from experts both online and offline. In fact, you can also watch online videos to learn the right tips and techniques for back strengthening exercises.
However, in case your pain gets severe, don’t just rely on back strengthening exercises in gym. Try a combination of medical care, professional physiotherapy, back strengthening exercises, and gentle stretches to get relief.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Types Of Yoga | Kukkutasana | Hanumanasana | Karnapidasana | Rajakapotasana | Setu Bandhasana | Benefits Of Yoga | Upavistha Konasana | Chaturanga Dandasana | Four Limbed Staff Pose | Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Sprawls | Front Press | T Bar Row | Side Crunch | Bench Dips | Half Burpee | Push Press | Pendlay Rows | Jump Squats | Pulse Squat | Shoulder Taps | Reverse Curl | Skaters Exercise | Chair Exercises | Anaerobic Exercise | Abduction Exercise | Plank To Pushup | Farmers Walk |Overhead Squat | Weighted Crunch | Dumbbell Snatch | Rope Pushdown | Renegade Rows | Windmill Exercise | Dumbbell Curls | Side Lateral Raise | Kettlebell Swings | Barbell Bicep Curl
Top Search Terms Fitness
Body Transformation | One Arm Dumbbell Row | Exercises To Reduce Neck Pain | Exercise To Relieve Back Pain | Regular Arm Workout | Fast Fat Burning Exercises | Chest Supported Row | Incline Dumbbell Curl | Benefits Of Cycling | Benefits Of Walking | Top 10 Abs Workout | Muscle Gain Exercises | Yoga Poses For Butt