Over the past few decades, yoga has become very popular among health enthusiasts. The reason for this resurrection is simple: its ability to treat medical conditions and improve health. And one such medical condition where yoga has proven to be beneficial is thyroid.
Thyroxine is a hormone produced by the thyroid gland. This hormone can affect various aspects of your body: growth, temperature, and even metabolism. Because of various reasons, this hormone gets produced more or less than required. Both these conditions can lead to thyroid problems.
Thankfully, you can do yoga for thyroid and control the secretion of hormones and treat the disease. However, yoga for thyroid problem is a complementary therapy. This means that you have to include other treatments like medicines too with yoga mudra for thyroid.
Types Of Yoga Poses For Thyroid
As we mentioned earlier, there are two types of thyroid problems: hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. And both of these conditions can be managed to some extent with the help of yoga. But you need to do different types of yoga poses to treat these conditions.
Based on the medical conditions on which they work, there are two types of yoga asanas for thyroid:
- Yoga For Hypothyroidism
- Fish Pose (Matsyasana)
- Plow Pose (Halasana)Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana)
- Inverted Pose (Viparita Karani)
- One-Legged Forward Bend (Janu Shirasasana)
- Cat Stretch (Marjariasana)
- Fast-paced Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
- Yoga For Hyperthyroidism
- Corpse Pose (Shavasana)
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
- Cat Stretch (Marjariasana)
- Child Pose (Shishuasana)
Steps & Poses Of Yoga For Thyroid
- Lie down on the ground and place your arms by the side of your body.
- Press your hands and back into the mat to get support.
- Inhale, make a right angle between your legs and ground by lifting them off.
- Slowly exhale and move your leg further so that they come over your head.
- If you need extra support, you can move your hands behind your lower back.
- Point your fingers towards your hips while your pinky should be placed on either side of the spine.
- Finally, release the pose by bringing your arms on the ground and then your legs.
- Sit on the floor with your legs fully stretched.
- Lift your buttocks off the ground a little to place your hands under them.
- Touch the ground with your palms while your fingers should be pointing towards your toes.
- Move both your elbows into each other and open the chest.
- Lean back towards the floor slowly and place your upper body on your forearms and elbows.
- Open your chest again while pressing into your arms.
- Drop your head on the ground if you are comfortable with this pose.
- Finally, you can release the fish pose by first lifting your head, then releasing your hands, and simply laying down on the mat.
Benefits Of Doing Yoga For Thyroid
Be it hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, yoga and pranayama for thyroid can help with reducing the symptoms of all types of problems. Here is a list of some important health benefits you would get by practicing yoga for thyroid regularly:
- Yoga mudra for thyroid can help you with both Stage 1 and Stage 2 thyroid problems.
- When you do yoga for thyroid, not only you regulate the production of thyroxine but you also strengthen your core muscles.
- A number of yoga asanas for thyroid need you to balance the weight of your whole body on either your neck or your shoulder. This way, you can also improve your sense of balance with the help of yoga for thyroid control.
- There is a category of yoga called the yoga inversion that gets your body in an upside-down position. This type of yoga also helps you in controlling the production of thyroxine in your body. While doing these yoga asanas, you push the blood against its natural flow and hence send more blood supply to your face. This, in turn, helps you in getting better nourishment for your face skin.
- Yoga for thyroid patients also assists you in strengthening the muscles of your back, neck, and your shoulders.
- If you add yoga for thyroid patients in your daily workout, you are going to end up burning a lot of calories. To make up those burning calories and give you the required energy, your body is going to burn fat.
- When you do yoga for thyroid control, you also stimulate a number of vital organs such as the pancreas, kidney, spleen, and thyroid.
- A lot of yoga asanas for thyroid that helps you with controlling thyroid production also stimulate the muscles of your pelvic region. This engagement of muscles assists you overcome the discomfort caused by your menstrual periods.
How To Do Yoga Safely And Avoid Injury?
As you might have already noticed, the yoga asanas for thyroid are quite easy to perform. There are very low chances of getting injured or any other type of side effect. However, doing yoga poses for thyroid with the wrong technique can put stress on any muscle. Hence, it becomes important to know about some precautions and safety points at the start.
Here is a list of some things to keep in mind while doing yoga for thyroid:
- If you have neck pain, lumbago, or other similar conditions, you should avoid yoga asanas that put pressure on the neck and back.
- People with hypertension should not practice yoga asanas that get their bodies upside down.
- Do not have heavy food or drink hours before you start yoga.
- If you feel intense pain in any body part while doing a yoga asana, you should consult a medical practitioner.
If you do work out at home, it will become very easy for you to incorporate yoga for thyroid in your daily routine. Once you stick to the workout, you will soon experience positive changes in your health. That being said, do not forget to consult a doctor and take medications along with yoga and pranayama for thyroid.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Naukasana | Baddha Padmasana | Gomukhasana | Ustrasana | Shalabhasana | Tulasana | Balasana | Halasana | Makarasana | Ashwini Mudra | Vayu Mudra | Types Of Pranayama | Balayam Yoga | Supta Vajrasana Benefits | Prithvi Mudra Benefits | Chakrasana | Padahastasana | Vakrasana | Yoni Mudra | Parvatasana | Khechari Mudra | Bhujangasana Benefits | Mandukasana | Padmasana Benefits | Prana Mudra Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Height Increase Exercise | Aerobic Exercise At Home | Jump Squats | Lat Pull Down | Crunches | Vajrasana | Jumping Jacks | Lying Leg Curl | Dumbbell Incline Fly | Burpees Exercise | Leg Extension | Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift | Jawline Exercises | Incline Dumbbell Bench Press | Mountain Climbers
Top Search Terms For Fitness
Trikonasana | Ashtanga Yoga Poses | Benefits Of Deadlift | Matsyasana | Tadasana Benefits | Sumo Squats | Uttanpadasana Procedure | Karnapidasana Benefits | Baddha Konasana Benefits | Shambhavi Mahamudra Steps | 12 Poses Of Surya Namaskar