What Is Power Yoga?
Power yoga is the type of yoga in which you do vinyasa-style yoga with more vigor. The main focus of this yoga is on building strength and endurance. What makes power yoga so effective is its focus on the flow from one yoga pose to another. Other workouts, on the other hand, focus on individual yoga poses.
Most other forms of yoga experience feel like a relaxed, mindful activity. On the contrary, power feels more like aerobics since you change yoga poses so quickly. In fact, it is one of the most dynamic forms of yoga out there which makes it perfect for burning calories at a fast pace.
How To Do Power Yoga Poses?
Other types of exercises that build strength require you to put in a lot of effort. What makes a power yoga workout so different is that its poses are quite easy to perform. Here is a list of 5 power yoga postures that you have to do in quick succession:
- Pull-Through Tabletop
- Sit on a yoga mat with feet and hands touching the ground, and knees bent.
- Place the hands right behind your hips.
- Lift the torso until it gets parallel to your yoga mat.
- This way, you make a shape similar to the top of a table with your body.
- Engage your core muscles and lower down your hips.
- Stop right before your hips are about to touch the yoga mat.
- Maintain the pose for three to five breaths and then back to the position where you started.
- Elevated Chair
- Stand straight, raise your hands towards the roof, lower down your hips.
- Keep lowering down your hips until you sit in a squat position.
- Now, start raising your body up until you reach the maximum height, balancing on your toes.
- Lower down your body again into the squat position and hold the pose for about three to five breaths.
- If you want to burn more calories, squat down to the point where your hips are about to touch your heels. As soon as you feel that your bottom is about to touch the heel, move back up.
- 90-Degree Extension
- Place your hands and knees on the ground and raise the right leg to make it parallel to the ground.
- Now, lift the left arm to make it parallel to the ground.
- This way, you will form a straight line with your left arm, the back, and the right leg. Try to balance your body with the help of the left knee on the ground and the right hand.
- Now, make a 90 degrees angle between your right leg and the body.
- Move your left arm to make another 90 degrees angle between the arm and your body.
- Hold this extension pose for about three breaths and then return to the position where you started.
- Airplane Lunge
- Stand straight, tilt forward and lift your right leg.
- Make sure that your body is standing firmly on your left leg while the weight of your upper body is balancing the right leg.
- At this point, your body shape should be like a tilted airplane.
- Join your palms to make a namaste pose.
- Now, bend your left knee and squat down as far as you can.
- Lift your body up and try to do five squats in a similar fashion.
- Side Plank Knee Crunch
- Lay down on your left side on a yoga mat.
- Place your left leg on the mat and lift your body.
- Ensure that only the edges of your one hand and one foot should be touching the ground.
- Now, bend your right knee and right arm to make the elbow touch your knee.
- Hold this side crunch position for about five breaths and then get back to the position where you started the yoga.
Benefits of Power Yoga
Various scientific studies have proven that power yoga exercises boost your health in a number of areas. Here is a list of some of the important power yoga benefits:
- Improves Your Cardiovascular Health: When you do power yoga sequence in a short period of time, you essentially raise your heart rate up and get more blood and oxygen to your body muscles. This way, you improve your heart health and provide energy to your organs more efficiently.
- Helps You Lose Weight: You can do power yoga for weight loss as it burns your calories at a fast pace. Along with reducing a few Kgs, you will also improve your muscle tone with power yoga exercises.
- Improves Your Motor Control: Doing power yoga postures has also been linked with improvement in motor control. If you have any condition that has negatively affected your motor skills, for example, Parkinson’s disease, doing power yoga poses can improve your tremors and muscle rigidity.
Here is a list of other power yoga benefits:
- Power yoga helps you get better sleep.
- You make your immune system stronger by doing yoga.
- Power yoga workout will also improve your body balance and posture.
Precautions & Safety Points
Here is a list of precautionary points to keep in mind while you do power yoga:
- When doing power yoga for weight loss, always start up with a less intense yoga pose.
- If you are a total beginner and feel that you need help with poses, it is better to join online yoga classes or hire a personal trainer rather than experimenting by yourself.
- Do not eat or drink for a few hours before power yoga.
- It is better to avoid power yoga sequence in the following conditions
- If you are pregnant
- If you have any chronic conditions that affect joints, muscles, or the heart.
- If you have had any serious injury in the past.
Power yoga, as its name suggests, is an efficient way to build strength. It gives you results just as any intense form of yoga, like hot yoga but requires minimal effort. If you want to strengthen your muscles, boost your immunity, or burn calories, we recommend you to give it a try.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Naukasana | Baddha Padmasana | Gomukhasana | Ustrasana | Shalabhasana | Tulasana | Balasana | Halasana | Makarasana | Ashwini Mudra | Vayu Mudra | Types Of Pranayama | Balayam Yoga | Supta Vajrasana Benefits | Prithvi Mudra Benefits | Chakrasana | Padahastasana | Vakrasana | Yoni Mudra | Parvatasana | Khechari Mudra | Bhujangasana Benefits | Mandukasana | Padmasana Benefits | Prana Mudra Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Height Increase Exercise | Aerobic Exercise At Home | Jump Squats | Lat Pull Down | Crunches | Vajrasana | Jumping Jacks | Lying Leg Curl | Dumbbell Incline Fly | Burpees Exercise | Leg Extension | Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift | Jawline Exercises | Incline Dumbbell Bench Press | Mountain Climbers
Top Search Terms For Fitness
Trikonasana | Ashtanga Yoga Poses | Benefits Of Deadlift | Matsyasana | Tadasana Benefits | Sumo Squats | Uttanpadasana Procedure | Karnapidasana Benefits | Baddha Konasana Benefits | Shambhavi Mahamudra Steps | 12 Poses Of Surya Namaskar