People who follow a regular exercise schedule usually dedicate one or two days to work out their upper body. In many cases, exercises target the shoulders, triceps, and biceps but forget the deltoids. To get a complete shoulder workout, you must have a routine that includes deltoid muscle exercises with anterior (front), posterior (rear), and side workouts. Here are some exercises that can be included in the deltoid workout for a stronger and bigger shoulder.
5 Best Deltoid Exercises At Home
- Inclined pushups
It is an exercise that needs no equipment and is an upgrade from the standard pushup. Unlike the traditional pushup, the upper body is elevated in an inclined pushup and works on the chest muscles. The anterior deltoid is worked out by having the upper body higher than the lower body. But to get the best use of this anterior deltoid exercise, ensure that the feet, hips, and shoulders are in a straight line and the core is engaged.
- To do this exercise, use a sturdy surface and ensure that the prop you use does not slide. Use a rubber flooring space or an exercise box to perform this deltoid workout.
- Start by standing in front of the box, squat, and get into a plank position with fingers forward.
- The hands should be placed shoulder-width apart and the body in a straight line.
- Ensure that the lower back is straight and eyes gaze forward.
- Now flex your arms so that the chest gets lower and is towards the box.
- Straighten the arms to get back to the start position,
- Repeat this for three sets with ten reps. As your strength increases, increase the number of repetitions.
It is among the best anterior deltoid exercises that target the main chest muscles, triceps, abs, legs, hips, and back. In addition, when done in slow-motion, it can engage the core.
- Pike Push-ups
It is another popular deltoid exercise at home that needs no equipment. Here’s how to do this effective deltoid exercise.
- Start with your feet and hands on the floor.
- Place your hands at shoulder width; legs kept straight on the floor, and hips up.
- Form a 90-degree angle with your arms by bending the elbows. The head should be held close to the floor.
- Push the body away from the exercise mat by strengthening the elbows.
- Return to the start and repeat these deltoid stretching exercises.
It is among the deltoid muscle exercises that are great for building strength and stability in the shoulder. It tones the entire upper body and the core and is included in the anterior deltoid exercises and lateral deltoid exercises plan.
- Plank ups
There is no posterior deltoid exercise better than a push-up. However, the plank ups are among the simple anterior deltoid exercises that can be challenging with variations and tweaks.
- Start in a plank position with the legs spread behind you. The forearms are placed on the ground and should be at a 90-degree angle with the upper arms.
- Ensure that the back, neck, and head are in a straight line and engage the core.
- Crunch your shoulder blades so that it almost touches the ground.
- Contact the rear of your shoulders to get back to the starting position.
- Repeat for three sets of 10 reps and increase after gaining more strength.
It is considered among the effective posterior deltoid exercises as it strengthens the back of the arms and the shoulders. It also enhances spine stability during movement.
- Side planks with arm raise
It is one of the best lateral deltoid exercises that challenge the side delts and the core.
- To perform this lateral deltoid exercise, lie on the floor on one of your sides.
- If lying on the left side, rest on the left elbow.
- Using the support of the left elbow, raise your hips, engaging the core.
- Raise the right arm in the air in a straight line with the left arm.
- Go as high as possible in the air while maintaining the body in a straight line.
- Bring the hips back to the ground and do ten reps of this deltoid stretching exercise on one side.
- Switch to the other side and do the same number of reps as the first side.
- If the arms raise is too challenging, you can do a side plank without it. Then, once you have enough core and arm straight, you can do it with arm raise.
- To make it a full-body exercise, add side planks with leg raises workout for legs.
It is one of the deltoid exercises that work on strengthening three muscles groups at a time. It works on the core, hips, and shoulders strengthening without affecting the back. It is the deltoid strengthening exercise that improves balance and coordination in the body.
- Switch side pulses
It is a medial deltoid exercise that can be done at home without any weights and uses only bodyweight. In this medial deltoid exercise, the tension created by the arms’ slow movement helps break down the lateral delts muscle fibers.
- Start in a standing position on a stable surface.
- Stretch your arms to the sides with the palms facing down towards the floor.
- Contract the middle delts of your arms and pulse it above the shoulders a few times and below the shoulders for a few repetitions.
- Now turn the palms to face the ceiling and do the same action of pulsing above and below the shoulders.
- Repeat for the desired length of time or repetitions.
- To add more to this deltoid workout, you can use two filled water bottles as weights.
- Ensure not to use a swinging motion to lift the weights. Instead, the body should be still and the shoulders should move.
It is not only one of the best medial deltoid exercises, but it also works as a great anterior and posterior deltoid exercise. In addition, the rotator cuff also gets a workout by doing this.
The deltoid strengthening exercises are not only for those who want a great body but for everyone who wants strong shoulders. Irrespective of whether you are an athlete or an average person, everyone should work out on shoulder strength training as it is highly prone to injuries. By strengthening it, you make it look great and ensure that everyday activities like lifting, cleaning, etc., become easier. Additionally, the above best deltoid exercises can be done at home using only body weight.