Staying fit is more than just a lifestyle. It is a need. To ensure that your present and future life stay healthy and you are able to lower your risk of chronic conditions, you have to start investing time towards your health as soon as possible. One of the easiest ways to do that is by beginning running or if you love to go an extra mile for your health, starting a sprinting exercise.
Though many people think that a sprint exercise is just for athletes like Usain Bolt, the reality is the exact opposite. Just grab a pair of good running shoes and you too can do sprint workouts any day. The workout brings plenty of benefits – it boosts your lung power, your speed, burns calories and so much more. We will discuss that in detail in this article.
In fact, we have a short guide of sprint workouts for beginners. From different variations to benefits, you will find it all right here. Let’s get started.
What Is Sprinting Workout?
Sprinting exercise consists of short bursts of running at high intensity. You have to do these at top speed. The workout targets your muscles and also helps in boosting metabolism.
Sprint workouts can also be easily changed as per your needs and requirements. So, if you have been planning to start sprinting workout, don’t hesitate. Just consult a fitness trainer and learn sprint workouts for beginners. This way, the workout won’t seem too intimidating and you can do sprint exercise without getting injured.
Basic Sprinting Exercise Model For Beginners
If you don’t know where to start your sprint running workout, here is a common model you can follow:
- Begin with a warm up of at least 5 minutes without a break.
- Now, start your first sprint and continue for 30 seconds. Run as fast as you can with the best of your efforts.
- Slow down after 30 seconds and start walking exercise at a fast pace for about 120 seconds.
- Again run for the next 30 seconds with your maximum energy.
- After 30 seconds, slow down and walk for the next 120 seconds.
- Repeat this pattern for the next 20 minutes without a break.
To get more customized and suitable sprint workouts at home, you can also consult fitness coaches online. Or just join an online sprinter gym workout and start it at home.
Variations Of Sprinting Exercise
There are various types of spiriting workouts but all of them are divided into two categories:
- Flat Sprints: As the name suggests, this type of sprinting exercise is done on a flat surface and is best suited for beginners. For this workout, you can sprint on a high school track, sports field, a jogging path or any other open road. You can also do such sprint workouts for speed and endurance. And since you don’t need any equipment, you can do these sprint workouts at home.
- Incline Sprints: This sprinting workout for weight loss or boosting endurance is done in hilly areas and is quite challenging. Beginners should not try this unless they become experts with flat sprints. For such a sprint running workout, you can try hilly roads, city parks, treadmills, mountain paths, etc. Since you can do it on a treadmill, it can also be considered a sprinter gym workout.
That was all about the variations based on the running surface. Here are some of the best exercises for sprinters that can increase their strength and stamina:
- High Knees
- Butt Kicks
- Leg Swings
- Backward Runs
All these best exercises for sprinters help in improving your performance as a sprinter by improving your stamina and speed.
Benefits Of Sprinting Exercise
Knowing the benefits of sprinting exercise is one of the things that helps in keeping the motivation intact. For instance, if you wish to shed the extra kegs then you would want to do a sprinting workout for weight loss with more zest. Below, we have jotted down some of the best benefits of doing sprint exercise at home or at the gym:
- Burns Calories
There is no easier and more effective workout than sprinting workout for weight loss. The workout burns excess calories to make sure you can lose the fat quickly while building lean mass.
- Increases Efficiency
Performing sprint workouts for speed also increases efficiency to perform other workouts such as Fartlek training, high jumps, and so on. It also improves your performance in sports such as soccer and hockey.
- Boosts Energy:
When you start sprint exercise at home as a beginner, you would find it hard and tiring. But if you do it on a regular basis, the workout can improve your energy levels. If you do sprint exercise in the morning, your energy levels will remain active the entire day.
- Increases Height
It is seen that people also do sprinting exercise for height growth as it stretches the body. The result may take years but if you combine sprinting exercise for height growth with other exercises such as swimming and a balanced diet, it can show effective results.
Sprinting Exercise: Precautions to consider
Just like any exercise, there are certain precautions you need to keep in mind before you begin a sprinting exercise:
- People who have a musculoskeletal injury or have any improper movements such as knocked knees should avoid sprinting workouts.
- Running sprints on the pavement is a bit hard due to the sturdy surface. Try to find quality tracks to do the workout efficiently.
- If you have any cardiovascular problems, consult your doctor before beginning a sprinting workout at home.
- It is always suggested to buy supportive shoes to avoid any injury and ensure higher comfort during the sprinting exercise.
Incorporating sprinting exercise into your workout routine is a great way to train your anaerobic system, lose weight and improve speed. You can also build lean muscle mass in your legs. But avoid overdoing these workouts. You should try to perform sprints only two-three days a week. To know more about the effective ways, talk to a fitness coach.