In an age where everything is so fast-paced, where our phones are constantly buzzing with notifications, where we worry more about what is about to happen than what is happening right now; every moment of calmness and peace is precious. Our restless minds finally get time to relax and reflect on the present. This, in turn, helps us focus sharper, reduce stress, and stay alive.
If you are also a person who is in need of some stress relief and relaxation, we would suggest you turn to mindfulness meditation which is a famous yoga for relaxation. Once you master this meditation for peace of mind, you will be able to unlock the amazing potential of your mind.
In this article, we are going to acquaint you with the concept of mindfulness meditation and also share some of the best techniques. Read on!
What is Mindfulness Meditation?
Mindfulness is a type of meditation to relax mind where you focus on what you are sensing at a particular moment. It asks you to suspend judgment and just live in the present.
Mindfulness meditation includes various techniques such as breathing methods, visual meditation, body scan, and others to reduce stress. These exercises help you let go of overthinking while reducing stress, anxiety, and depression.
Here are the top 5 mindfulness meditation techniques that will help you in finding peace and tranquillity:
Relaxing Breathing (4-7-8) Exercise
This is probably the simplest and straightforward meditation to relax mind. In 4-7-8 breathing exercises, you need to breathe while counting to four and then holding it till the count of seven. By the count of 8, you need to exhale. This is a natural way to bring peace to your mind. Here is how you should do this meditation for peace of mind:
- Sit straight and relax your shoulders.
- Your tongue’s tip should be near the tissue behind your upper front teeth. If possible, do not change its place.
- Now, breathe in through the nose to a count of four.
- Hold the breath for seven seconds.
- Breathe out through your mouth for at least eight seconds.
This is one cycle of breath. You can try three-four times. However, do not exceed this limit if you are a beginner. This meditation for mind can also be used to cope with stress when you feel it overwhelming.
The Body Scan Meditation
Also known as body awareness, this is a popular guided mindfulness meditation that allows you to direct your mind to various parts of your body and sensations while tuning out distractions. This technique also works great in helping you become aware of how you feel at a particular moment.
Now, there are plenty of ways to do this meditation and mindfulness. There are online audios or expert videos that teach you the best way of body scan meditation. Other than these, you can also follow the below-discussed method of this type of mindfulness meditation:
- Get in a position that is comfortable; you can sit or lie down as it suits you.
- Now, close your eyes and relax your body. You can also use a pillow below your head for support. You can also play meditation music relax mind body.
- Start from your toes. Focus all your attention on your left toe and feel the sensations like pain or discomfort. You may also feel tingling or stinging.
- Take a long deep breath through your nose and the whole you exhale, allow that area to relax, and loosen up. Imagine that you are channeling all the stress and tension out of your toes through exhaling.
- Similarly, work your way to various body parts like feet, thighs, abdomen, back, arms, hands, fingers, neck, and finally your face.
- As you progress from one body part to another, focus on every muscle group and release the tension.
Once you have mastered this meditation for calmness, you can have effortless focus and self-awareness.
Another easy mindfulness meditation is gratitude meditation. In this yoga for stress relief, you try to reflect on all the gifts that you have in your life. It is a simple technique that has a significant effect on your mind.
All you need to do in this meditation and mindfulness is to focus on things that you are grateful for. It can be anything from a warm home to a caring friend. A simple way to do this mindfulness meditation is by closing your eyes and then making a mental list of things you feel grateful for. As you experience gratitude, your mind opens up to other positive emotions like kindness and you are able to look at things with a broader perspective.
This meditation for mind is not just for peace and calmness. Some other benefits of gratitude meditation are:
- Increases humility
- Strengthens friendships and relationships
- Boosts self-esteem
- Increases fulfillment
- Improves overall wellbeing
- Makes you happy
- Reduces jealousy
- Increases kindness
Not many people know but you can also meditate while walking. In fact, it is one of the best ways to include mindfulness meditation in your daily routine, especially if you are someone who has trouble sitting in one place.
In this meditation for calmness, you are required to walk silently and contemplate your thoughts. This can be extremely peaceful for the mind, body, and spirit. Here is how you can perform this meditation for mind effectively:
- Choose a place where you can walk without distractions. Try choosing a park as it works better.
- Walk for 10-15 steps and then pause. Breathe as many times as you like.
- While walking, observe the surroundings around you. Contemplate everything – from trees to flowers to the sky and even the ground beneath.
- You can also observe while walking. The only thing you should maintain is silence and a sense of deep contemplation.
Now, whenever you feel stressed out, take a short walk and practice this peace of mind meditation.
Practicing mindfulness meditation is a great way to direct yourself towards your own emotions and find a balance. It helps you in accepting reality and be grateful for what you have. You can not only do this meditation for calmness but also for better sleep and alleviate diseases such as high blood pressure, depression, and body pain.